Monday, July 5, 2010

Only The Super-Rich Can Save Us

Well, I told you on the Fourth of July that I would write about the Ralph Nader book and I wanted to do it right after the Fourth of July post because I consider Ralph Nader to be a great American as I think I stated off-handedly in that post. After reading this book maybe people will consider him more seriously for president.

Well, truth be told, I have not finished reading the book. I have not gotten further than I was when I wrote that little p.s. Not because the book isn't good. As I said before it definitely is as I read just about 50 pages shy of half the enormous almost 750 pages in basically one sitting.

Anyway, I decided to do a partial review of the book so that it could be next to the July 4th post. Cause what I've read so far I definitely like. First of all, let me say that even though when I heard of the book and it's subject matter I was eager to read it, I have to admit that I thought I'd be disappointed.

There were two reasons for this. The first is because the author is not known to write non-fiction - it is his first time at it - so I thought it might be quite "dry". The second is because when I saw the book in Chapters, when I was considering buying it rather than borrowing it from the library, I saw it was huge!

That said, I got sucked in immediately. Although, the premise (as you can pretty much figure out by the title) is kind of hokey and schmaltzy, it still grabs you. Well it did me anyway. I was crying a bit on page 2. LOL. The next time I noticed myself crying was on about page 39. From there I managed to suck it up a little. LOL.

The plot is simply this... The world is going to hell in a hand-basket and the richest man in the U.S. Warren Buffett decides he is going to do something about it! He decides this after realizing that a disaster like Hurricane Katrina is being bungled by the government of the day (The Bush II government)...

He gets the idea to recruit about a dozen other "super-rich" do-gooders that he thinks can start a revolution of sorts. Well that is the basic plot outline. Some of the millionaires and billionaires he recruits are known by the general public. People like Ted Turner, Bill Cosby and Yoko Ono. Yes, Yoko Ono. She provides the art

Yoko Ono is also the only women in the little rich people do-gooder club but that is a small quibble. I did what I often do and read the last paragraph. LOL. She does get the last word. Yes! Although, the final paragraph did seem a little lame. However, since I'm not to the end, I can't really judge it fairly.

One phrase that stuck out as kind of funny was "the carbohydrate economy" (you'll just have to read it to figure that one out - lol). Another was Wal-Martians. It also refers to a Wal-Mart "wanna-be" it calls Wal-Fart. LOL. Actually Wal-Mart plays a big part in the proceedings and as I'm sure you can figure out, an unpleasant one

Anyway, that is about all I have to say about the book so far, other than to explain why I didn't finish the 2nd half already in a 2nd "big gulp". I knew if I started reading it again, I would want to finish it all at once and I didn't feel up to it after the 1st "big read". So, I'm giving myself "a day or few".

I look forward to telling you how it all ends (well not exactly). I am fairly sure that I won't be disappointed. At least I hope so. I also hope that the book ends in a way that suggests a sequel. Yes, it is starting out that good. Will "Bush Bimbaugh" get his comeupance? Only time will tell. LOL.

Carmen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a nice comment. I l-o-v-e comments. Thank you. The Management!